Toenail fungus is generally accepted as one of the most widely known nail irregularity. It's described by the disfiguration, discoloration, and ultimate damage of the infected toenail. The condition is known by various medical phrases, specifically, Tinea unguium, Onychomycosis, dermatophytic onychomycosis and ringworm of the nail.Toenail fungus is a seriously contagious condition and can easily be passed from one individual to another individual.
Toenail fungus is categorized into 4 main categories based on the extent and kind of the fungal infection. These are the following:
- Proximal Subungal Onchomycosis – This form of the fungal disease is a type of Tinea unguium and it is mostly linked to compromised bodily defensive mechanisms. The fungus that causes the toenail disease in the beginning passes through the proximal nail fold and arrives at the nail plate and the nail bed.
- Candida Onychomycosis – This is another type of the fungal infection which is extremely prevalent. It is usually linked to habitual and extensive soaking in water of the feet.
- White Superficial Onychomycosis – This fungal issue is determined by the presence of what is understood in medical parlance as "white islands" on the infected toenails. This problem is caused by the continual degradation and disintegration of the superficial outer layer as a result of its contact with the fungus. This type of the fungal infection only represents a small fraction of the identified events of toenail fungus. While it may not be as common as the other types of the fungal infection affecting the toenails, it is considered as a significant wellness issue as it is sometimes mistaken for another health condition referred to as keratin granulation.
- Distal Subungual Onychomycosis – This kind of the toenail fungus could also be considered the most common type of the fungal infection. It's attributed to the pathogenic microorganism referred to as Trichophyton rubrum. It is an extremely severe infection as it causes harm to the infected toenail and major damage to the keratin by burrowing into the nail bed and spreading to the nail plate.
Nail fungus can be accompanied by pain and can lead to irreversible damage to the tainted toenail. The fungal infection can even be a precursor of other serious infections that can have a bearing on other parts of the body. Such complications usually are due to poor immune system, a condition that may be associated to the consumption of particular medicines, diabetes and HIV.
Nail fungus has the potential to become a significant health problem for people who are struggling with AIDS, diabetes mellitus and leukemia. A compromised defensive mechanisms of the body can bring about severe problems to individuals with toenail fungus while recipients of organ transplants are facing the biggest risk of getting severe problems.
The doctor will typically perform physical examination of the tainted toenail first. A small sample may be made by scraping some particles from underneath the affected toenail for lab study. Specifically, the debris obtained from the tainted toenail will be examined under the microscope or be subjected to culture to determine the pathogenic microorganism. There are other medical ailments which can resemble the symptoms of toenail fungus. Hence, it is essential that such conditions are isolated for the finding the proper treatment.
There are several healthy methods that really must be followed to reduce the possibility of developing toenail fungus. It is important that you observe these preventive steps not only to prevent the fungal disease but to reduce its frequency too.
- Frequently clean your hands, particularly after coming in contact with the infected toenail.
- Use antifungal powder or spray.
- Keep your toenails clean, short and dry.
- Avoid wearing synthetic socks. Wear breathable cotton socks instead.
- Visit reputable pedicure salons.
- Please don't walk with your barefoot in public bath rooms, locker rooms and other public areas.
Common Ways To Cure Toenail Fungus
Treatment of toenail fungus can be a hard endeavor and the treatment regimen would usually simply take months to carry out. The courses of treatment can be divided in to 2 main categories – Pharmacological or medical remedies and natural treatment or home treatments.
Pharmacological treatment options entail the use of anti-fungal medicines, systemic and topical preparations in getting rid of the fungal infection. The duration of the treatment is largely relied on the severity of the condition and the time that is required to shed off the tainted nail and make space for a new nail to grow. The therapy regimen may run as much as 12 months or more in order to attain a complete cure.
Having said that, the effectiveness of natural treatment and home remedies for toenail fungus is grounded on the proper usage of these treatment options. Such non-standard treatments can be utilized to efficiently manage and cure toenail fungus without the side effects which are frequently observed in pharmacological remedies.